Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Bloody Experience

I was handed with an invitation yesterday for a Baptismal Reception. “Kuya Alvin” it says….join us in welcoming our precious Raven Julian L. Calago to the Christian world, Oct. 22, 2005 10AM Max’s Restaurant Greenbelt.”

When my officemate gave me that invitation, I can’t recall who the baby is (ang anak ni Janice?)……I don’t bother to ask, I simply say thank you since at the back of my mind I won’t be able to attend that affair because I thought it will be on Sunday and I have an affair with SAGIP so I won’t be able to go there with “Max”.

But when my officemate gave a separate invitation to my other officemate, I then realized who the baby is.

Sometime last August 22, 2005, right after lunch, me and 4 officemates went to Intramuros, in Seaman’s Hospital. A former officemate of my officemates (gets niyo? Ibig sabihin, kaopisina dati ng mga present officemates ko) was confined, she’s on her way to deliver a pre-matured baby. Unfortunately, her blood type is AB, a rare blood type. Two of my officemates both have same blood type so they decided to go and donate blood. Upon arrival in the hospital, we were directed to go to the Red Cross Blood Blank just nearby. With so much confidence, two of my officemates thought they can donate blood, but it did not happened. Upon blood testing done to my first officemate, it turn out that she can’t donate blood because of abnormal platelet counts. But the turn of events came so frustrating when my other officemate can’t donate blood either, because of the simple reason and fact…”she’s a woman”…and she had her first drop of blood part of her monthly visit, just after our lunch…

Fortunately, there was a 140ml available AB type in the blood bank. But it can’t be bought, it should be replaced with same amount but not necessary of the same type. Only three of us we’re left. My other officemate who drives our service for sure can’t donate. The next one who is so petite cannot either. And I was left with no choice but to give out my blood to “whoever-who-will-use-it”. I hate the piercing of needle in my finger when they test if my blood is ok. When it was confirmed that I am capable to donate, I was dash in the inner room of Red Cross. I lied down and a soft ball was given to me, while a much larger needle pierced my arm, my focus is in the TV set. As blood draws from my arm, I grasp the soft ball and squeeze it on and off. I don’t look at the plastic container which holds my blood as it lay in a “rocking-machine”.

After some more minutes, it was finished. A fresh 450ml blood type O is gone from my circulation, from my body. It is now ready to be given to those who will use it. Meantime, the blood we got from the blood bank was given to our patient.

WE left the Blood Bank. I don't feel any difference when I still have the 450ml blood inside my body. I guess I weigh much lighter. It was my first time to donate blood. I was scared at first, but something higher pushes me and gave me to courage and release the fear within me for me to do this “bloody-act”….literally “padugo”.

I don’t know what happened to my officemates' former officemate after that incident. I can’t recall her name either.

That was already two months ago. Not until yesterday I realized that the invitation came from her, from Rhodelyn, my officemate’s former officemate. And her baby is Raven Julia.

I was teased by my officemate, I am the biological “father” since I made the mother and daughter live because of the blood that I donated…..actually, my blood didn’t go to her since my blood was just a replacement of the blood that came from the Blood Bank….now I wonder who’s the recipient of my blood…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home